Monday, July 18, 2011

Wine Making

Mike had gotten me a wine making kit for Christmas but I hadn't realized that you need a lot of equipment to make the wine from the kit. So for Mother's Day he got me all the equipment. I set to work making my fruit wine. Surprisingly I had a little helper throughout the whole 4 week process- Isabella! I thought it a little odd that she was so excited to help make something she couldn't even enjoy but she helped with every step! I was a bit worried about how the wine would turn out when the directions said it should stay around 65 degrees seeing that it is the middle of summer & my house doesn't get below 73 degrees (which is at night!) and usually is around 76 degress. So I alternated ice packs around the carboy (the big glass jug it sits in) & hoped for the best. When it came time to bottle, it ended up making 29 bottles of wine (the kit said 30 but I didn't skim very low when transfering it into bottles in order to avoid the sediment). And thankfully it tastes pretty good so the temp must not have effected it too much. I look forward to making more wines in the future but will probalby wait until the temps cool a bit so maybe I can keep it cool in the garage. I want to try some not so sweet wines next!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Always an Adventure said...

yummy! Glad it tastes good after all that hard work!

Mom said...

I haven't gotten to taste yet... might have to bring a bottle to family night sometime : )

Followers